Wednesday, October 06, 2004

X Prize

Just because someone has claimed the $10 million Ansari X prize does not mean that space flight enthusiasts should pack up their rockets and go home, according to CNN. I applaud the decision to continue the competition since, as every Heinlein fan knows, it will ultimately be private and commercial space flight that brings us to the stars. As someone who grew up reading classic science fiction, I have always felt cheated by the slow pace of our efforts to scatter humanity through the cosmos. I mean, NASA has yet to build even one Mars-based terraforming colony. And this is the 21st century!

By the way, if anyone who reads this is planning on competing in the annual space flight competition, I would like to remind you that one of the competitions is maximum number of passengers taken into space. I hereby officially volunteer myself if you need to fill a seat. Please? NASA will never let me be an astronaut.

That's it for my first post. I now have to go grade some papers about the 1453 fall of Constantinople. I haven't read them yet, but I did give them a quick glance to make sure nobody just turned in this.
blog comments powered by Disqus