Saturday, July 09, 2005

Friday Spies: Better Late Than Never Edition

1. Tropical Storm Cindy and Hurricane Dennis are causing trouble in
the Southeast this week. Share a natural disaster story.


When I was little, Hurricane Alicia hit Houston and knocked a tree onto our house right on top of the bedroom while I was sleeping. Did I wake up? No.

2. What is your favorite work of art?

Toughie. I really love Modigliani, as you may have noticed from my profie picture. But no single painting of his really has become my favorite. I love de Lempicka, Friedrich (especially this one), this Gerome depicting Pygmalion and Galatea, which sadly was not on display the last time I was in New York, and this painting from the National Gallery by Rembrandt Peale, which looks exactly like someone I know.

But my favorite single painting must be The Bather of Valpincon by Ingres. There's a small framed version of it next to my bed, and I love seeing it first thing in the morning. The play of light on her skin makes me feel fresh and clean.

3. Do you squeeze the toothpaste tube from the middle or the bottom?

The middle, but then I use the handle of my toothbrush to mash all the bits from the bottom up once it starts to get empty. I just finished off a tube of British toothpaste left over from one of my European vacations. It's no wonder British people have the stereotype of bad dental hygeine (thus necessitating campaigns like National Kissing Day) since all their toothpaste tastes like vaguely minty paste instead of American-style super fresh mint goodness.

4. What is your favorite "cult" film?

Well, I am obsessed with Rushmore, but don't know if that qualifies as a cult film since it was popular among mainstream audiences. Ah! It shows up on a list of cult films, so it must qualify. All hail Max Fischer.

5. Would you go into space if given the chance? Where would you go?

I would go into space. I'd like to go to the moon and write my name in the dust. Currently Richard Nixon is the only person whose name is on the moon, and I think I am cooler than Richard Nixon.
blog comments powered by Disqus