Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Death of Online Gossip

Ever done anything embarrassing and had it posted online? Now, for the low, low price of $29.95, you can sic ReputationDefender.com on websites that recount your scandalous weekend exploits or post photos of that streaking that the other guys on the team assured you would be "so fucking hilarious, dude."

In the wake of the Washingtonienne lawsuit, I shouldn't be surprised that the less well-heeled are eager to get in on the censorship act. But whatever happened to personal responsibility? If you acted like a jackass and someone documented it online, why not man up and admit your error? Chalk it up to youthful indiscretion and move on instead of harassing people into whitewashing accounts of their perceptions. Your reputation should accurately reflect your actions. If some of those actions are embarrassing, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Life sucks. Get a helmet.

P.S. I know Michael Fertik, the CEO of this absurd company. He sat in front of me in one of my 1L classes. He was a pretentious gunner who wore lots of Armani. The last time I saw him, he was standing in the D.C. Metro bitching about how haaard it is to be summer associate because he had firm events practically every night. I think my response was something along the lines of "yeah, it sure sucks to be massively overpaid for a summer sinecure and expensively entertained non-stop." I don't think this was the reaction he was expecting. He's ridiculous and I hope his company tanks.

P.P.S. If anyone wants me to take down this or any other post because it hurts their wittle feelings, they can bite me.
blog comments powered by Disqus