Saturday, September 08, 2007

Wunderkinds

An email from another overeducated woman:
So what's up with the smarty high-undergrad-pedigree male bloggers? Matthew Yglesias, Ezra Klein, Julian Sanchez, Ross Douthat; yes they are smarties, but they really don't have much education compared to a lot of women bloggers/journalists out there. Not that education = intelligence, but it helps. I think I'm fairly smart, but if I had stopped with my college education in 2002, as much of the above did (and baby Ezra just graduated!) I'd be a rambling dummy. My ideas are still getting shaped and refined, and will never be beyond doubt. Not that grad school has been super useful for me, but it did make me think about new subjects in new ways. And no, this PhD isn't truly necessary, but all the reading and writing I am doing is great, and I'm still benefiting from going to lectures and being among people who are not like me and do not think like me.
Is my friend right? Do men with bachelor's degrees constitute too great a portion of the blogging punditocracy and journalistic elite? Do bloggers with additional formal education provide more valuable insights? Or are young pups better journalists than those ensconced for long periods in the ivory tower?

And why is everyone so pale?
blog comments powered by Disqus